April 26th, 2017
Alex is a brand new art director fresh out of VCU. When a CD hires a new creative, one of the first things they often say is some version of: “Scare me! Don’t hold back. We can always reel you back in—but out of the gate, just go for it.” Ok, so Alex’s Peeps project is just flat-out scary (above). So is her creepy eyeball homepage. And Gollum Girl illustrations. (PS, don’t miss her Illustrations page. So cool.) Love it all.
April 25th, 2017
Sometimes the best ideas are the simplest ideas. And the stupidest ideas (in a good way). Will’s project for Arby’s at the Super Bowl is both—it literally puts Arby’s at the Super Bowl, a sandwich in a seat. #WeHaveTheSeats. So dumb. So genius. Plus, it’s Arby’s. Possibly the perfect student campaign.
April 24th, 2017
VCU Brandcenter Week on MC (yay!) kicks off with copywriter Caroline Gallalee. Being a copywriter is all about ideas and prose and collaboration and humor and fearlessness—but it’s also about enthusiasm and optimism and putting yourself the heck out there. Clicking through Caroline’s portfolio, she’s everywhere: rapping for MadMoms (awesome project), narrating a manifesto video for Tetra “Aquaverse,” and interviewing Kim Kardashian (awkward). Love it all.
April 20th, 2017
Bob is a freelance copywriter/CD in Richmond, VA, previously at the Martin Agency (for 28 years). Honored to have him up on MC! So many amazing projects on his site. Few things not to miss: the buzz clips reel at the end of the Geico “Good News” project page, Peter Frampton introducing Bob’s reel on his About page, and Kozy Shack Pudding “World’s Worst Jingle” on his radio page. So bad. So good.
April 12th, 2017
New copywriters! Nothing MC likes better. Ladies and gents, below are links to four Creative Circus March 2017 graduating writer portfolio sites:
Mark Donnelly (copywriter) – markjdonnelly.com
Keegan Elsner (copywriter) – keeganelsner.com
Tommy McConnell (copywriter) – thebookoftommy.com
Michelle Turpin (copywriter) – michelleturpin.com
April 11th, 2017
March 2017 Creative Circus Week on MC continues, today with the portfolio sites of four art director grads. Can’t wait to see where they land!
Stacie Larsen (art director) – stacielarsen.com
Kayleigh O-Brien (art director) – kayleigh-obrien.com
Skylar Williams (art director) – skylarawilliams.com
Alex Yancy (art director) – alexyancy.com
April 10th, 2017
Ladies and gentlemen, this week MC is honored to present the portfolio sites of March 2017 Creative Circus grads: two designers (Monday), four art directors (Tuesday), and four copywriters (Wednesday). Congrats, Circusers!
Mills Adams (designer) – millsadams.com
Taylor Battle (designer) – tayllorbattle.com
April 5th, 2017
Nothing MC loves more than posting the portfolio sites of brilliant new copywriters. Ladies and gents, below are links to 9 Chicago Portfolio School Winter 2017 graduating writers (in alphabetical order):
Abby Festenstein (copywriter) – abbyfestenstein.com
Blythe Green (copywriter) – blythegreen.com
Danielle Janota (copywriter) – daniellejanota.com
April 4th, 2017
Winter 2017 Chicago Portfolio School Week on MC continues, today with the portfolio sites of six March art director grads. Get ’em while they’re hot!
Alexandra Courtney (art director) – alexandracourtney.com
Allie Schiesser (art director) – allieschiesser.com
Deirdre Nieto (art director) – deirdrenieto.com
Ellen Kingbury (art director) – lnkingsbury.com
Maximilien Delvigne (art director) – maximiliendelvigne.com
Renato Oliveria (art director) – renatololiveira.com
April 3rd, 2017
Ladies and gentlemen, this week MC is honored to present the portfolio sites of Winter 2017 Chicago Portfolio School grads: designers (Monday), art directors (Tuesday), and copywriters (Wednesday). Congrats to all!
Adeline Chong (designer) – addieadeline.squarespace.com
Max Linenberger (designer) – mlinenberger.com
Zachary Kaplan (designer) – zkaplan.com
March 30th, 2017
Beth Voegtli at New Honor Society in St. Louis is on the hunt for a copywriter. From NHS: “You love to write. You’re good at it. Good enough to get paid for your abilities. But you’re not just a wordsmith, you’re a problem solver. You get as excited about a brand challenge as you do about a killer headline. If this sounds like you, let’s talk.
SPECIFIC DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Tell a compelling story in four words or 4000.
- Ability to write in every medium: digital, social, print, film.
- Work alone or with a team to arrive at solutions.
- Contribute to brainstorms.
- Follow a brief and ensure work is on strategy.
- Have high personal standards; “good enough” isn’t good enough for you.
- Stay on top of industry and cultural trends.
- Be collaborative, flexible and open-minded.
- Contribute to the cultural dynamics of the agency.
- Take the work seriously, but don’t take yourself too seriously.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field of study
- 1+ years of experience as a copywriter across multiple brands, categories and channels
- A portfolio with a range of work that shows your strengths and your potential for growth
- Solid writing/spelling/grammatical skills
- Organization, communication and presentation skills
- Critical thinking
- Conceptual (big ideas, not just executions)
- Desire to make a mark on the agency and industry at large”
To apply online, click here.
To learn more about New Honor Society, click here.
March 29th, 2017
Clarence is a copywriter/CD currently freelancing at Apple in London. Since his last post on MC way back on 08.09.2010, he’s taken over the world. So many awesome projects in his portfolio. The first three had MC laughing out loud, including a genius campaign for American Standard, a super hot (not!) spot for Planet Fitness (above), and an amazing video for The Green Party in the UK. Awesomeness.
March 27th, 2017
Raul Mandru, Partner/Creative Director at RXM in NYC, is on the hunt for a killer writer with 5+ years experience. From RXM: “RXM is an award-winning creative agency based in New York. We are working with Ray-Ban, Harper’s Bazaar, H&M, Sunglass Hut, and Lokai on integrated campaigns and content.
More about our work and vibe rxmcreative.com and instagram.com/rxmcreative.
- You pronounce GIF correctly
- 5+ years of experience in an agency setting
- Strong conceptual abilities. You can easily come up with spot-on ideas from content to TV and video scripts, social posts, activations, events
- Solid writing skills and a knowledge of the current digital, social landscape
- Strong logic in structuring presentation flow
- Genuinely interested in cultural trends and you read the likes of Dazed, Paper, Another
- You can easily name a few artists, photographers, musicians you follow and would like to collaborate with
- Have been working on similar brands as our client roster (lifestyle, millennial, retail)
- You’re obsessed with grammar and already found the 3 mistakes in this description
- You work efficiently, pick your battles and agree that “Real artists ship”
- You can collaborate with and AD and lead projects independently without a lot of direction
- You have great presentation skills and are used to present directly to clients
- Native english only
- Able to work in the US (Citizen/Greencard/Independent O1)
- You’re based in New York
Please only apply if the description fits your profile and experience.”
Send portfolio to: Jobs@rxmcreative.com
March 24th, 2017
Cassandra Ondich, Talent Acquisition Manager at VML, is on the hunt for a copywriter to join their Memphis office. From VML: “At VML, it’s not just the job you want — it’s who you are that matters. We’re looking for visionaries. Planners. Dreamers. Because VML is a place that’s all about putting everything you are into everything you do. And we believe in the thought that if it doesn’t exist, it can be created.
Yes, technically we’re located in Kansas City. And New York. And Chicago. And Seattle. But if you need to find us, we suggest visiting somewhere that can’t exactly be pinpointed on a map. Look for us where dreamers thrive. And ideas, too. In a place where limits are pushed and pulled and stretched. Because VML is a full-service digital advertising agency that thrives where the blue sky of possibilities intersects with grounded solutions. We know this is a great place, and others know it too. In fact, we’ve been voted as one of the 25 best places to work in America three times and have partnered with brands around the world. And with two decades under our belt, you’d be correct to guess our trophy case is pretty full as well.
VML is seeking a Copywriter for a government client based in Memphis. Project work requires US citizenship.
What we’re looking for:
- Good client presentation skills demonstrating a clear vision of how the work addresses the client challenge
- A desire to take on new challenges, grow and learn every day
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a larger team in a fast-paced environment
- Savvy with social media
- Passion for creating online advertising that busts through banner blindness
- Writing talent that makes people take notice and take action
- A bachelor’s degree, English or writing emphasis preferred
- Three-plus years of experience in an agency setting, with strong conceptual abilities, solid writing skills and a knowledge of the digital landscape
VML is a M/F Disabled and Vet EEO/AA Employer.”
Apply here or email Cassandra at: Cassandra.firstname.lastname@example.org
March 22nd, 2017
Chris is a freelance senior copywriter in NYC, previously at Figliulo & Partners and Pereira & O’Dell. He’s written spots for the Sprint Framily Frobinsons and World of Tanks (with Steven Seagal, above), improvised on a we-are-in-a-foreign-country-and-don’t-have-a-permit-for-this-everybody-be-cool digital campaign for Skype, and has made everything in between for brands like Macy’s, Virgin Atlantic, AC Hotels, Seabourn, and Mattel. He’s also optioned a TV pilot with Caviar Content in LA about Guardian Angels. Awesome.
March 20th, 2017
Jon is VP/CD/AD at BOHAN in Nashville. Since his last post on MC (09.17.14), he’s got all kinds of cool new work up on his site: Coolville. As a writer, one of the first things MC looks at in designer portfolios is typography. Don’t miss Jon’s typography page in the design section of his site (awesome). But there’s great type all over his site, including in his Mars One project (above, featured under art direction). Take me, please.
March 15th, 2017
Mike is a freelance copywriter in Atlanta, GA. The work on his site is broken out into four categories (Consumer, B2B, Digital & Social Media, Recruiting), plus a page called Marcia & Me (Marcia Brady!), Awards, and Contact. Some cool projects on his Digital page, including NCAA Final Friend for AT&T, which looks fun, but also a possible nightmare—rejecting 63 Facebook friends. Yikes!